We’ve written a short Q&A about our brand-new baby here.
What’s a Pygate?
It’s Pycom’s latest hardware tech portfolio addition. This is a new super low-cost 8-channel gateway that comes in the shape of a shield. It’s got the well-known form factor from our other shields and you can connect your well-known WiPy3, LoPy4 or a GPy to it and then hook in all your other Pycom devices up and you have yourself a nifty little decentralized IoT network in one go. Pygate also fits inside the Universal IP67 Case so you don’t have to limit yourself to indoors.
What’s cool about it?
Pygate’s got a ton of really nice features:
- Dual SX1257 transceivers for a total of 8 channels support
- Frequencies: 863-870 MHz and 902-928 MHz
- Baseband processor: SX1308
- Compatible with WiPy3, GPy and LoPy4
- Ultra-low power standby mode
- Ethernet with PoE via the optional daughter board
- Powered via USB, LiPo Battery and Ethernet via the optional daughter board
- LiPo battery charging via the USB port
- USB to serial connection for the Pycom module with auto-programming features
- Same form factor as the Expansion Board v3
Why did we decide to do Pygate?
It’s simple! It enables our community to use exiting Pycom development boards for which they have already written their IoT applications to now build their own gateways and connect their own entire systems…
It’s a further evolution of our strategy to ‘decentralise the Internet of Things’ giving everyone the opportunity to connect their own LoRa network and run it independently while reusing technology they may already have in use.
AND with Pymesh in the mix it becomes interesting to see what our community gets up to. We’re excited.
Pygate is going to be super affordable. We’ve given it a price tag of just €49.99*.
When can I have one?
We’re in development at the moment and plan to be releasing it in July 2019 with samples and beta units available before then. If you want to be one of the first to play with it, you’ll be pleased to know we will make it available for pre-order during the month of March 2019.
Short and sweet. More updates to follow along the development process on twitter and elsewhere.
#GOINVENT your own #IoT
*The Power over Ethernet attachment board carries an additional price of €14.95.